Monday, March 19, 2007

Nipple Confusion

Alu thinks it's what happens at the Yellow Rose. But it's something we new parents are terrified of. Turns out that sucking on a nipple isn't as simple as it seems.

Each type of nipple comes with its own characteristic size, shape, texture, and stiffness. Each one requires a different type of mouth, tongue, and lip action on junior's part to extract milk. Throw a couple of breasts, nipple shields, a pacifier, and one or two breast-feeding-friendly bottles out there, suddenly, wham-mo - there's nipple confusion. I am proud to say that Vivian has shown no signs of any such confusion. She drinks like a champ from anything that's got milk in it, and tries just as hard even if it doesn't.

It's probably not a skill that easily translates to a tangible competitive benefit later in life. And, it may be premature to make declarations of similarities to Einstein. All I'm saying is that my baby girl's good with nipples, and we'll leave it at that.

2 comments:

  1. I'm guessing she inherited that trait from her Dad?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I thouhgt I had nipple confusion....Alu

    ReplyDelete