Saturday, March 31, 2007

Jo's Theory of Mothers' Memory

Nicolle got Katurah when she was 3 weeks old. For the first month, the kid cried every night till 5am. Now - a scant month or two later, when Nicolle talks about it, she mentions how easy Katurah was. I believe that she would get another 3 week old in a heartbeat.

Jo hated the first few months of pregnancy. It was a pain in the butt (or, near enough, literally). She missed drinking her occasional Woodchuck. Then she found out she had gestational diabetes, and had to really watch what she ate. And there was the finger-pricks several times a day. The first few months of pregnancy were starting to look good. Then came labor and delivery - each stage of which made the previous one feel like a cake-walk. And finally, parenting. A few weeks of that, and Jo had positively glowing reviews about her pregnancy and delivery. That's when she came up with her theory of memory.

Why would anyone get pregnant or raise a second child ever?

Because your brain (I believe in a effort to further the species) fucks with you. It makes each stage biologically and psychologically more difficult so that you review the recent past in much better light - and that's how it sticks in your memory.

I apologize if I sound negative. It's not as bad as it sounds. Last week was rough, but we've really enjoyed the weeks before that.

No comments:

Post a Comment